Wecome followers... on a journey to explore the wide world of web tools.

I will be using this blog to explore and evaluate a range of web tools with an emphasis on the practicality of their use in an educational setting.... so jump on board for the ride!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Concept Mapping

Cennamo & Kalk (2005) elaborate on the learning theory that there are three influences of the learning process. The describe these as Behaviourism, Cognitivism and Constructivism. I took the time to researth these influences closely and came to the understanding that they can all play a role in the learning process, and with awareness, strategies and learning tools, can be incorporated into learning experiences to improve overall outcomes for the learners involved.

One tool I explored in particular was the use of concept maps. A concept map can be considered helpful when it is used as a tool for organising information. It allows a learner to sort new information using a visual representation and it is able to be personalised for each individual's differing needs. Alongside this, by allowing a user to sort their information, it can be a way of linking with prior knowledge, or even storing information into a long term memory bank. The benefits of using a tool like this is that it can be used to support cognitivism and the mental processing of new information.

To test this theory, I trialled two online sites to create my own concept map on the information I have learnt from this course so far. The two sites were: bubbl.us and Text2Mindmap. Both sites allowed me to add my own information to visually create a concept map, however, I found the most effective to be bubbl.us.

On bubbl.us, I was able to create a concept map as I went. This allowed me to add things easily while I watched. I was able to see the result instantly and stimulate new responses by drawing on my memory. Below is an example of the concept map I created through this website. I believe that this would be easy to incorporate into the classroom as the template is easy and you are able to work in with the template design to produce the best result.

The other site, Text2Mindmap, was a little more complex to use. This site required the user to create their text in a side panel using indentations to represent different types of boxes. Although the final result was just as effective as the one above, I would find it more difficult to implement using this site in a classroom, especially for primary students.
This is just my personal comparison of these two online programs. Why don't you give it a try and let me know your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. There has been some debate, that if the purpose of concept mapping was to get the ideas flowing, than doing it online may not be the best method.
    I can now see some advantages to the online method (such as, easily saving, editing and comparing, as well as for presenting), but I still think that if the purpose was to brainstorm ideas, then I would use the old fashioned paper and pen method. Which begs the question: Are there some situations when paper and pen is more effective or better than using the computer? I like to have students, particularly younger students work in groups to brainstorm ideas, using coloured markers and large sheets of paper, they share the task of being the scribe. There are some literacy brainstorming interactives on the read write think site, however, that I think are very effective in getting students to get the ideas flowing, such as venn diagrams, story planners and poetry interactives.
    Another advantage of online concept mapping is that it may be more beneficial to a wider variety of learners, (I used a program called kidspiration, which was particularly good for this aspect)! What do you think ?

    ReplyDelete