Wecome followers... on a journey to explore the wide world of web tools.

I will be using this blog to explore and evaluate a range of web tools with an emphasis on the practicality of their use in an educational setting.... so jump on board for the ride!

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Learning Frameworks

There are so many theories about teaching ICT in a classroom, all backed up with a set of Learning Frameworks. So which one is the right one? Who knows? It is understood that many different teachers have adopted different frameworks based upon their understandings, beliefs or uses of ICT in their classroom. I decided to examine two of these frameworks closely to identify how they are similar and how they differ. The frameworks I chose were 'The Big 6' and the 'Engagement Theory'. The Venn Diagram below is a collation of my findings.

Out of reading the two frameworks, the one I would prefer to work with would be 'The Big 6'. The Big 6 is a process model that outlines a set of problem solving skills (Eisenberg, 2001). Throughout the framework overview, it elaborates on this by suggesting that the solution to the information crisis is not to become bigger and faster, its to effectively utilise a set of thinking skills that will allow a learner to be smarter in the way they utilise information sources.

The 6 skills that are outlined and refered to in The Big 6 framework also appear to be transferrable. It does not specifically elaborate on this, however, when I took a closer look at the skills, they appear to be a process that would be easy to embed into a variety of key learning areas, possibly helping students to make the link to its relevance.

To make effective use of this framework in my future classrooms I would use The Big 6 terminology frequently when looking at assessment and researching tasks. I would explain the importance to the learners and encourage them to be using the appropriate language during class tasks. I would possibly even go to the effort of displaying a poster around the room for the students to refer to. By introducing the students to a framework, such as The Big 6, I beleive that it would help students to become more critically literate in the use of technology, and other key learning areas, for the emerging explosion of information.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emma,
    I really like the Venn diagram that you have constructed comparing the Big 6 with the Engagement Theory. Like your opinion, I also believe that the Big 6 is a wonderful, simple model that can be used within the classroom. I agree with you in introducing the students to the terminology of The Big 6. This way both teacher and student have a common language allowing tasks to be clearer and students to understand instructions with more effectively. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma and Jasmin,
    I agree with you both that the Big 6 is a great framework for assisting students with technology. I also agree that it is important for the learning manager to constantly talk the language in order to create emphasis on the framework. Jasmins idea of putting posters of the information around the room is also a great way of reminding students on how to approach technology. I only wish that my teachers had scaffolded my experiences in this way as it might have created a more confident approach for myself towards technology.

    ReplyDelete