Wecome followers... on a journey to explore the wide world of web tools.

I will be using this blog to explore and evaluate a range of web tools with an emphasis on the practicality of their use in an educational setting.... so jump on board for the ride!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Using images as a learning tool

There seems to be some controversy about what you can and can’t use from what is accessed from the internet. I feel that the use of images fall directly into this category. Sometimes when using the internet, it can be too easy to find exactly the image you are looking for and forget about the privacy and copyright associated with its use. I believe that in the instance of using images from the web, a user should be selective as to which sites the images are retrieved from. There are many great sites out there that allow images to be reused and copied, however, even in this instance, I would still be providing a reference to the source of the image.

Today I downloaded a free program that allows me to resize and edit images using easy, basic tools. The program is called Mobaphoto and is available online for free. To begin with I used one of my own images of a tree in a rainforest. To begin with I resized the image to make it appropriate for uploading to the internet.




After resizing the image, I started exploring the tools available on Mobophoto that allowed me to edit the image. The following is an edited copy of the same photo using the free software.


As you can see, I was easily able to edit the brightness and contrast of the photo to make it more visually appealing.

I believe that an image, such as this tree one, could be used for a variety of purposes in the classroom. Some of these could include:
- A hook into a lesson on the environment/trees/lifespan of trees
- Visual stimulus to encourage creative writing
- A visual cue to encourage discussion
- An image to create a model for an art activity

What are your thoughts on images in the classroom? What other sites can you recommend for great images?

No comments:

Post a Comment