Wecome followers... on a journey to explore the wide world of web tools.

I will be using this blog to explore and evaluate a range of web tools with an emphasis on the practicality of their use in an educational setting.... so jump on board for the ride!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

LMS

I first find it important for me to elaborate on this concept of a Learning Management System (LMS). Weblearning (2005) identifies a Learning Management System as an ‘easy-to use solution for the 21st century chalk and talk’. When used effectively in a classroom environment, it is generally referred to as a virtual classroom. A successful LMS allows learners to have access to learning materials, resources and tools anywhere they have access to an internet connection.

Last week, I made an attempt to have a play and create my own LMS, however, due to a large backlog of requests via the website, I was unable to do so, therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to reflect on my personal use of an LMS using Blackboard and Moodle for university.

My university recently switched from using the program Blackboard (used by most universities) to a program called Moodle. The change in tool has had quite an impact on the way in which we navigate our virtual learning and access/submit information. Nonetheless, I do believe that this having this Learning Management System in place plays a large role in my ability to access important information and communicate/share with my peers and lecturers. With this in mind, Learning Management Systems have not only been a large benefit for internal students, they also make learning available and successful for students who cannot attend a campus or who choose to study flexibly.

Below is a screen capture of what a Learning Management System might look like:



So in consideration of my own thoughts on using Learning Management System, I have spoken to some teacher in consideration as to how it could benefit a learning cohort in a primary classroom?

Education Queensland (2010) offers the online support, tools and security for teachers to construct what they call a virtual classroom via Blackboard. A virtual classroom allows for learning to take place inside and outside the classroom, with 24hr a day, 7 day a week access. For teachers, using the Learning Place to facilitate a virtual classroom allows them to keep items secure and safe for all the appropriate users to successfully access.

In this day and age, computers and the internet seem to be a daily component of life for many learners of all ages. By allowing them to access their school work via such tools as a Learning Management System, I believe that teachers can provide a link between home and school learning to benefit the learner.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment